5 Best Android Push Notification Campaigns that Act as Conversion Catalysts
Let’s be honest, your conversion funnel is not a funnel in reality. It is a complicated, criss-cross journey, full of twists and turns. Your users traverse the funnel in a to and fro manner, more often than not, leaving transactions incomplete.
You too maybe doing it often - adding products to your shopping cart and leaving them there – postponing purchase for another time. Or, perhaps you check flights for your next vacation that is 3 months away, but don’t book them immediately - out of sheer laziness or the hope of a better price-drop offer in the near future!
Does a little nudge through a carefully-crafted personalised push notification improve the chances of prompting users to buy those products in the cart or complete that booking transaction?
Well, push notifications help you achieve those objectives along with a diverse number of use cases that boost engagement and retention at every stage of the app user lifecycle.
Here are five best examples of Android push notifications, across industries, capable of elevating conversions:
- [E-Commerce]: Encourage users to revisit their abandoned carts
Cart abandonment is a major challenge for e-commerce brands. The average cart abandonment rate can be as high as 69.23%.
You can’t afford to ignore these users. Remember that you’ve worked incredibly hard to acquire your users and an abandoned cart situation simply hits your monetisation opportunities.
A personalised, relevant, and well-timed push notification delivered on such users’ smartphones can help grab their attention within an appropriate window of opportunity, improving the chances of app relaunch and final purchase.
- Create a sense of urgency in your messaging. A generic “Your cart is waiting!” notification hardly works anymore. Until the user feels that not completing the purchase would mean some imminent loss, it can be hard to convince him/her to complete transaction. Ensure that you don’t sound too pushy though. There’s a fine line between an encouraging nudge and a hard-sell!
- Deep link the notification to the exact item page. Don’t leave any chances for the user to drop-off in between. Make the checkout process faster and seamless. Especially given the fact that 26% of online shoppers have abandoned an order in the past quarter solely due to a complicated checkout process.
- [Food Tech]: Boost customer engagement through real-time incentives
The marriage of geolocation technology with push notifications has opened up a whole new arena for real time hyper-personalised targeting.
Suppose your users are at the airport, and they receive a contextualised push notification from your food delivery app about their favorite restaurant’s airport-outlet offer, wouldn’t this increase the chances of an in-store purchase?
- Use past transactional data to personalise the notification. If your user is in a mall which as tens of restaurants and food outlets, sending an offer about the place he mostly orders his food from, can be way more engaging
- [Travel]: Encourage users to complete their bookings
Getting consistent conversions on online travel apps is becoming more and more challenging. With so many price comparison engines swarming the internet, users don’t make travel bookings without thorough research, often leaving the purchase process incomplete. Some return, but many mostly don’t.
In such a scenario, a well-timed push notification can increase the chances of conversion. Personalised push notifications can act as the final nudge in making them complete their desired bookings.
You can incentivise purchase by offering a limited time discount or promo code, especially while targeting price-sensitive user segments across geographies.
- Lure your users with attractive price differentials. A carefully timed push notification about the drop in price can be the ultimate motivator for your user to go ahead and complete the purchase
- Offer recommendations on hotels, restaurants, connecting flights/trains
Strike when the iron is hot. Your user booked his return trip flight from your app. Utilise the user data to send personalised hotel recommendations, connecting trains or buses between destinations in the city, etc. Such campaigns not only boost revenue, but strengthen the customer loyalty too.
- [Media OTT]: Convert freemium users into paying subscribers
While offering freemium subscriptions can help you increase user acquisition during the initial phases, converting your freemium monthly active users (MAUs) into paying subscribers is important for revenue growth.
A rightly-timed personalised push notification can act as reminder as well as a nudge for this user segment to become paid users.
- Leverage the power of advanced in-app analytics to understand your users’ behaviour over a period of time. Based on what content they consume the most, you can craft relevant push notification campaigns.
- For instance, those users who spend a majority of their time watching sports highlights can be targeted with an offer to upgrade to a paid plan only for sports content. On the other hand, users who watch a specific genre of free movies/sitcoms, can be encouraged to move to a paid subscription to enjoy unrestricted access to their preferred content
- Timing for such campaigns is critical. Sending a notification 2-3 days before the free period ends can often do the trick, while chasing users to migrate to a paid plan right after a week of sign-up might put them off completely. Allow your users to experience value on your app before encouraging them to part with their money!
- [BFSI]: Cross-sell and upsell through offers
With users choosing banking apps over websites, the BFSI sector is rapidly adopting push notifications over other channels to drive various cross-sell and upsell campaigns.
- Apart from your own products like credit/debit cards, mutual funds, etc., use push notifications for driving revenue through brand partnerships with food delivery apps, payment wallets, ride-hailing apps, online retailers, ticketing apps, and many more.
These push notification campaigns are a must to ensure your users reach the end of the conversion funnel regardless of the non-linear path they might have taken. Done right, these are sure to bring a spike in your conversions, and ultimately your business revenues. You can boost the delivery rates of your push notifications through Smartech’s industry first push amplification feature.
Push Notifications: Engage to convert and retain your Android users!
Push Notifications as a mobile marketing channel constitute the surest way to address your users’ ever-wavering attention. If done right, push notifications can be the most powerful mobile marketing technology currently available. But done wrong, push notifications can very well be the cause of users opting-out, uninstalling your app, and indulging in negative word-of-mouth.
Push notifications hold immense potential of playing a key role in every stage of your app user lifecycle, beginning from acquisition and onboarding to engagement, and retention. Leverage the power of user data to design incredible push notification campaigns that hit the right chord with your users in terms of relevance and personalisation, and you will see all your key app metrics soar.
To learn how you can create and deliver high performing push notification campaigns through Smartech, get started today!
Ritu is a Technical Writer & Content Developer by profession, and a Poet & Creative Writer by passion. She works as Assistant Manager, Content Development at Netcore.
- App Engagement
- App Push Notifications
- Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning
- browser push notifications
- Campaign Management
- Email Marketing
- Email Security
- Growth Marketing
- In-App Messages
- Marketing Automation
- Mobile Marketing
- Powering Smart Conversations
- Product Update
- Push Notifications
- SMS Marketing
- Tech startups
- Web Engagement
Push Notification is one of the most powerful channels to engage with app users. Almost 50% smart phone users opt-in to receive notifications. But non-contextual, non-personalised, and too many over-intrusive notifications do more harm than good. If the notifications that your users are bombarded with provide no value, it is obvious that they will find them irritating. Today, over 50% of app users find push notifications annoying.Read more
Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and the buzz is already in the air. No matter how hard you try to resist it, Valentine’s Day always gets noticed. Every brand today wants to get a bite from this opportunistic cake.Read more